Tuesday, March 22
Tempo is a member-driven organization, and we depend on dedicated members just like you to serve as Tempo's leaders! They are responsible for promoting Tempo in the community, planning events, and keeping the Tempo audience informed of what's going on. New board and committee member recruiting is taking place now through April 1, 2011. If you're interested in a leadership role with Tempo, read on.
Directors serve as officers, committee chairs and members at large, in addition to joining one of Tempo's three committees: marketing, membership, or programming. Serving as a director is an excellent way to learn about Minnesota Opera, and board members have a unique opportunity to work with opera staff and impact Tempo as an organization.
What do directors do?
- Board directors are Tempo members! If you're not a member now, that's okay, but you must have an active membership at the time of your first board or committee meeting.
- Attend monthly board and committee meetings. The board meets on the first Tuesday of every month at 6:00 p.m. at the Minnesota Opera Center, and committees conduct separate monthly meetings. (Typically a time commitment of 2 - 4 hours per month.)
- Carry out board and committee related work. The type of work and time needed depends on your position on the board and your committee, but not everything happens in a meeting!
- Communicate regularly with board and committee members between meetings.
- Attend Tempo's events! Ok, this is an easy one. Tempo plans fantastic events! Who wouldn't want to be a part of them!?
Committee members serve on one of Tempo's committees but are not on the Tempo board and do not attend board meetings. Serving as a committee member is a great way to be more involved with Tempo, but with less of a time commitment. Committee members must also be Tempo members, attend monthly committee meetings, carry out committee related work, and attend Tempo events.
Applications are due April 1, 2011 and interviews will be conducted in mid- to late-April. The board will vote on candidates at its May 3, 2011 meeting, and candidates will be informed of the results shortly thereafter.
New leadership terms begin July 1, 2011; the first board meeting for new directors will be July 5, 2011. If you have any questions or would like application materials, please email us today at email@example.com!